OLD PHOTO'S OF MEVAGISSEY

 

 

LINKS

 

Alf Thomas looking at the days catch of

whiting being landed at Mevagissey

Mevagissey Inner Harbour boat FY 3 'Christabell' owned by the Chesterfield family. Taken in the summer of the 1970's

Inner harbour Mevagissey

 The 'Mary Brown' unloading coal alongside the quay

Ernie Over was in World War 1

Front standing in the door Mrs. Edgar Mills (Ameretta's mother) Left behind looking out of shop door Hebalina Hunkin Left behind third lady out Eunice Fulfit Centre of road Charlie Robins Carpenter and Shipwright On the right front Granny Pills Shop sold apples

Looking from East Quay towards the lifeboat house. At the bottom of slip with hat on is Captain Willy Johns. The first person to do trips around the bay for mackerel 

Mevagissey New Road had just been completed and opened in this picture. This is the main road into Mevagissey. On the right of the picture is the old cemetery

Mevagissey Outer Harbour; Must be summer boats left out in 'The Pool' no tide in the inner harbour. Waiting to set sail in the afternoon to go pilchard driving. Most luggers were painter black, but notice times are changing with a few boats painted a different colour. Boat FY 129 'Pet' belonging to the Johns family. Notice the girls in the foreground with bonnets on and a band around the bonnet most likely saying 'Band of Hope'

Front standing in the door Mrs. Edgar Mills (Ameretta's mother) Left behind looking out of shop door Hebalina Hunkin Left behind third lady out Eunice Fulfit Centre of road Charlie Robins Carpenter and Shipwright On the right front Granny Pills Shop sold apples etc

Mevagissey Harbour; Schooner with sails drying in far corner of picture. In the foreground the harbour quay and road out to the lighthouse not complete. Behind the sailing ship 'Heligan' gardens and house can be seen. Top right of picture a grass field which has now been built on

Schooner 'Theodora'. Lugger drying sails

Taken in the early 1900's

Mevagissey Harbour; Just completing building the Watch house. Notice the washing hanging out to dry. Several gulls on top of harbour wall Weed floating in the harbour must have been in the summer Boat FY 41 'Lizzie' owned by the Johns family, FY 317 'Liberty' owned by the Brown family. Lugger in foreground is the first boat to have a wheelhouse fitted

On the left Granfer Over and Joey Over on the right

Maker of oven; Engineers Ernest R Pace and Co Cardiff The dough mixer is still in the shop?

 

Inner Harbour Mevagissey. Alongside the Jetty boat 'Diligent' and on her port quarter Edgar Husband's 'Margaret' FY 150

Joey Over, Some proud of his wedding cakes  (a very fine baker was he) complete with cigarette

Mevagissey as it is in December 2001. All the boats in harbour because of Easterly wind

These two photograph were taken in the 1950's Note in top picture the Esso garage far left. Boat 'Snowdrop'

FY 104 belonging to the Mills family and the

Left Billy Moor returning from Hicks Bakery with their cooked dinners

Price for cooking a meal was 1d for weekdays and 6d for Sundays and Xmas dinners

 

History

Home Page

 

 

 

Home Page

Genealogy

Mevagissey Parish

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

E-mail the webmaster with questions or comments about this Web site